The Tholos Temple, Sanctuary of Athena Pronaia
One hundred miles northwest of Athens, soaring high above the
Gulf of Corinth, stands the holy mountain called
Parnassus. Nestled amidst the pine forested slopes and
rocky crags of the sacred peak are the beautiful and
exceptionally well-preserved ruins of Delphi.
city of wondrous artistic achievements and grand athletic
spectacles during the flowering of Greek culture in the first
millennium BC, Delphi is best know, however, as
the supreme oracle site of the ancient Mediterranean
According to the earliest legends the site was originally a
sacred place of the earth goddess Gaia (also
called Ge) and was guarded by her daughter, the serpent Python.
Later legends state that the site was the center of the world as
determined by the god Zeus. Two eagles (or ravens)
had been released by Zeus from opposite ends of
the earth and following great flights across the skies they
finally met at Delphi.
A still later legend relates that Apollo, the son of Zeus, came
from his home atop Mt. Olympus to Mt. Parnassus to slay the
great serpent Python. Fleeing from the peak Python
sought safety in the sanctuary of the Earth Mother at
Apollo relentlessly pursued Python, however, and
violently claimed the site.
Later repenting of his crime, Apollo purified himself (on the
island of Crete) and, returning to Delphi, persuaded Pan (the goat-god of
wild places and evocative music) to reveal to him the art of prophecy.
Upon the site of his battle, Apollo erected his own oracular temple and, at
the exact place where he had 'speared' the serpent, an omphalos
stone was set in the ground.
This omphalos stone (meaning 'center of the earth'
to the ancient Greeks) later became the center of the inner sanctum of the
shrine of the Delphic oracle. The site was originally
called Pytho, after the guardian serpent. It was renamed
Delphi after the dolphin (delphis in Greek) whose form
Apollo took in order to bring Cretan sailors to Delphi so that they
might become priests in his new temple.
Regarding the omphalos, one
legend tells that the original stone, now lost, was a large meteorite
fallen from the sky in deepest antiquity, while another legend says it was
the first physical object to emerge on dry land after the waters of
the Deluge had settled. The omphalos stone currently on
display in the Delphi museum, while very old and indeed from Delphi, is thus
not the original sacred stone. It is interesting to inspect this exhibited
stone however, for its conical form and sculptural designs derive from the
old pillar and tree worship of the prehistoric goddess cults.
Archaeologically (as contrasted to the mythological discussion above) we
know but little about the early beginnings of Delphi.
Excavations have revealed the site was a Mycenean village from 1500 to 1100
BC, during which time the primary religious emphasis was on an oracular cult
of the Earth Goddess. Around 1000 BC the worship of Apollo
became dominant when this new god was brought to the region by either
Dorians from Crete or northern tribes from Thessaly.
The oracular use of the
site continued during Apollo's occupation and, through the endeavors
of politically astute priests, Delphi achieved Panhellenic
fame as a major oracle shrine by the 7th century BC.
Women, who were considered more sensitive than men to the
oracular powers of the site, would first bathe in the waters of
the nearby sacred Castalian spring (said to have
been created when the winged-horse Pegasus struck the ground
with his hoof, and to be favored by the Muses).
Next they would drink from the sacred Kassotis spring, inhale
the fumes of burning laurel leaves and finally, sitting in
meditation near the omphalos stone, would enter
into a visionary trance state. Many archaic accounts of Delphi
relate that the oracular priestesses, known as Pythia,
sat upon a chair situated over a fissure in the earth from which
emanated trance-inducing vapors.
Plutarch, a Greek philosopher who served as a priest at
Delphi, and Strabo, an ancient geographer
had each told of geologic fumes, known as pneuma,
that inspired divine frenzies, with Plutarch noting that
the gases had a sweet smell.
Until recently this matter was considered to be a fabrication from
post-Delphic times. French archaeologists began excavating the ruins in
1892, digging down to the temple's foundations, but no evidence of a fissure
or fumes was found. By 1904, a visiting English scholar, A. P. Oppé,
declared that ancient beliefs in temple fumes were the result of myth,
mistake or fraud.
The Oxford Classical Dictionary in 1948 voiced the
"Excavation has rendered
improbable the postclassical theory of a chasm with mephitic vapours."
During the late 1990’s however, a geologist, an archaeologist, a chemist and
a toxicologist teamed up to produce a wealth of evidence suggesting that the
ancient legends had in fact been accurate.
The region's underlying rocks
turn out to be composed of oily limestone fractured by two hidden
faults that cross exactly under the ruined temple, creating a path
by which petrochemical fumes (methane, ethane and ethylene) could rise to
the surface to help induce visions. In particular, the scientists found that
the women communing with the oracle probably came under the influence of
ethylene - a sweet-smelling but psychoactively potent gas once
used as an anesthetic. In light doses, ethylene produces feelings of
disembodied euphoria and visionary insight.
Questions regarding the future would be asked of the oracular priestesses.
The answers, interpreted by male priests and then spoken in verse, proved so
accurate that the Delphic oracle came to exercise enormous
political and social influence in the Greek empire for nearly a thousand
years. Historical sources indicate that the Delphic oracle was open
only one day per month during the nine months of the year when
Apollo was considered to be resident at the site. For a variety of
reasons the Delphic oracle was in decline by the 1st century AD and the last
recorded oracle was in 362 AD.
The Christian emperor Theodosius officially
closed the vast temple in 393 AD, thereby signaling the end of the ancient
tradition of Greek oracles and the ascendancy of the new god of
Christianity. Delphi was abandoned to the elements and
gradually fell into ruins.
Peering through the veils of legend and myth we may discern at Delphi
the story of an ancient goddess site being later taken over by a
culture whose primary deity was a male god. The 'spearing' of the serpent
may be interpreted as the marking of the energy beam point (a small area of
concentrated energy at a power place) with a spear of stone and also the
symbol of the masculine usurpation of a feminine deity shrine.
omphalos stone, and the earlier marker stone it replaced, were used
to gather, concentrate and emanate the energies of the power place for the
benefit of the local people.
From earliest times the particular energy of
the site, as well as the chemical vapors rising from deep within the earth,
had been recognized to induce prophetic visions in people and as a
consequence a quasi-religious cult had developed over time.
The photograph shows remains of the Tholos temple
at the Sanctuary of Athena Pronaia, with
sacred Mt. Parnassus in the background.
one-half mile from the main concentration of buildings at
Delphi, Athena Pronaia was the gateway to Delphi.
The site, having been occupied since the Neolithic Period
(5000-3000 BC) and later by the Myceneans, may actually predate
Delphi as a sacred place.
Originally dedicated to the worship of
an Earth Goddess, the shrine was eventually occupied by Olympian
deities, Athena in particular.
A guardian of wisdom and
spiritual consciousness, Athena continued the ancient
veneration of the feminine principle and brought devotion to the Earth
Mother into the Classical Age of Greece. The Tholos temple,
built in the early 4th century BC, has an unusual circular shape.
shape, and the leaf-adorned capitals of its Corinthian columns are a
representation of the sacred forest groves of the old Earth Goddess
religion. Writing in The Earth, The Temple, and The Gods, Vincent
Skully comments that
or navel, which was supposed to mark the center of the world, was
kept in the sanctuary of Apollo's temple itself (in the center of nearby
Delphi), but the Tholos of Athena's sanctuary more clearly
seems to evoke the navel of the earth than does any other building
Mt. Parnassus, in addition to its other mythological associations, holds a
similar position in Greek legends as Mt. Ararat holds in the Old Testament.
After the waters of a great flood receded, an ark-like boat carrying
Deucalion and his wife Pyrrha landed on Mt. Parnassus. High upon
the mountain, Deucalion sought advice from Themis, the resident earth
goddess, regarding how to repopulate the earth with humans.
Themis instructed Deucalion and Pyrrha to throw rocks
over their shoulder, these being the “bones” of the Earth Mother, and that
the stones would be transformed into the first human beings. Themis
(who was another daughter of Gaia, by Uranus) also figures in an alternate
legend of the Delphic oracle. In this account, Themis succeeded
Gaia as the guardian of sacred Mt. Parnassus and later instructed Apollo
in the arts of prophecy.
In these myths, Apollo does not kill the serpent
Python, but rather an evil dragoness known as Delphyne.
Python then becomes the guardian of Apollo’s
oracular temple, while Themis continues to reside upon
Mt. Parnassus is also the legendary home of the
Muses (three or nine in number according to different legends),
these being divine singers and musicians whose music enchanted
The association of the Muses with the mountain has made it a
source of poetic inspiration and the favored pilgrimage
destination of poets.
Further adding to the mystery of Delphi are the studies of
ancient mysteries researchers, Paul Broadhurst and Hamish Miller.
Following their exploration and mapping of alignments of sacred sites
along the so-called St. Michael and Mary lines in southern England
(chronicled in their book The Sun and the Serpent), Broadhurst
and Miller spent ten years studying another alignment that passes
through the temple of Delphi.
Beginning at Skellig Michael in
Ireland, the remarkable alignment stretches 2500 miles, passing through
numerous ancient holy sites in Cornwall, France, Italy, Greece and Israel.
Readers interested in learning more about this alignment of sacred sites and
its fascinating relationship to the oracular temple of Delphi
will enjoy The Dance of the Dragon by Broadhurst and Miller.