Beginning in 1993, I started an effort that was designed to identify firsthand military and government witnesses to UFO events and projects, as well as other evidence to be used in a public disclosure. From 1993, we spent considerable time and resources briefing the Clinton Administration, including CIA Director James Woolsey, senior military officials at the Pentagon, and select members of Congress, among others. In April of 1997, more than a dozen such government and military witnesses were assembled in Washington DC for briefings with Congressmen, Pentagon officials and others. There, we specifically requested open Congressional Hearings on the subject. None were forthcoming.

In 1998, we set out to "privatize" the disclosure process by raising the funds to videotape, edit, and organize over 100 military and government witnesses to UFO events and projects. We had estimated that between $2 million and $4 million would be needed to do this on a worldwide basis. By August of 2000 only about 5% of this amount had been raised but we decided to proceed since further delay was deemed imprudent given the serious issues involved here. So beginning in August we began creating the Witness Archive Project and we set about the task of traveling all over the world to interview these witnesses in broadcast quality digital video format. Due to the severe limitation of funds, this effort was predominantly prepared by myself and a few other volunteers roughly from August 2000 through December 2000.

Beginning in late December 2000, I began editing over 120 hours of raw digital video testimony at home using a dual-G4 Macintosh with 90 Gigabytes of storage and a digital video deck. I should note that I am a medical doctor and not an editor. Nevertheless, from late December 2000 until late February 2001 the 120 hours were reduced first to 33 hours of select testimony and then 18 hours of super-select testimony. The 33 hours of select testimony were dubbed to audiotape and transcribed resulting in approximately 1200 pages of testimony transcript. In March and early April, 2001 I edited these transcripts into a readable form, which appear herein.

I must emphasize that this has been done under the most severe time and funding constraints, working 7 days a week and mostly 18 hours a day. And I thought the Emergency Department was tough!

I share this only so the reader will understand that these transcripts and other materials are very likely to contain errors. These include likely errors in proper names arising from the phonetic spelling of such names directly from transcribed audio tapes of testimony. I apologize in advance for these.

The transcripts (that appear in the Briefing Document) have only been altered to correct for a) length and b) grammar and readability. I have assiduously avoided changing the meaning of testimony at all times. Statements in brackets [ ] are for clarification. Statements in italics and brackets [ ] reflect commentary on my part and are followed by my initials, SG.

These materials are, as you can now discern, only the tip of the iceberg of what we have recorded on digital videotape. That is, from over 120 hours of testimony by over 100 witnesses we transcribed only 33 hours and then further edited materials down to a fraction of that amount. Moreover, the full archive represents the testimony of only 100 witnesses of the more than 400 identified to date. The edited testimony will be appearing in book form. A portion of it appears in The Disclosure Project Briefing Document and only small excerpts and summary bios of testimony appear in this Executive summary. We hope in the future to secure funding for a 5-6 part broadcast quality video documentary series to be made from the videotaped testimony we have as the impact of hearing and seeing these witnesses speak is very moving.

As you read this testimony remember that it is indeed only the beginning. The rest is up to you: Call and demand that Congress and the President and the leaders of other countries hold hearings into this subject without delay. These witnesses welcome a subpoena so that they may officially testify under oath to what they have experienced and said here. Indeed, the most revealing testimony waits to be seen since the deepest sources are refusing to come forward until protected through official Congressional hearings.

This then brings me to my last point: The witnesses who have given testimony to date are extraordinarily brave men and women Ė heroes in my eyes Ė who have taken great personal risks in coming forward. Some have been threatened and intimidated. All are risking the ever-present ridicule that attends this subject. Not a single one of them has been paid for his or her testimony: It has been given freely and without reservation for the good of humanity. I wish to personally thank them here and extend to them my personal, highest respect and gratitude.

Please, I implore you not to let this effort and their sacrifice be in vain. Help us place this matter in front of the public, the media, and our elected representatives so that the full truth may be disclosed, so that those Earth-saving technologies now classified may be released, and so humanity may enter a new chapter in its evolution as one of many people in the cosmos.

This summary is focusing on the testimony of important first-hand witnesses. We have thousands of government documents, hundreds of photographs, trace landing cases and more, but it is impossible to include them in a summary of this length. These materials will be made available for any serious scientific or Congressional inquiry.

Steven M. Greer, M.D. 5 April 2001

Back to Contents



3.8.1  Overview

Testimony of Astronaut Edgar Mitchell

May 1998

[Our deepest gratitude goes to James Fox for sharing with us this interview. SG]

In February 1971 Astronaut Edgar Mitchell flew on Apollo 14 and was the 6th man to walk on the moon. In his testimony, he acknowledges the fact that there have been ET visitations here on Earth as well as crashed craft and recovered materials and bodies. He also speaks of the concealment that has been prevalent surrounding this subject for over 50 years and the lack of oversight and visible Government control. He is concerned over our stewardship of this Earth and sees our growing environmental crisis as real.

EM: Astronaut Edgar Mitchell   JF: James Fox

EM: In the literature we see accounts from military people who have had encounters in flight, and been vectored to chase unidentified objects. These are people who have official positions whose job was to know about possible extraterrestrial visitation and to do something with it, people within Government.

Thereís a lot that does go on with these high security classifications-they are under military rules. I think it is a fairly muddy area when we are talking about this level of activity. There are some stories [about how secrecy has been enforced] that are rather ghastly, as a matter of fact. I canít validate those. I donít know that they are necessarily true. But, like many other stories, they put fear in the hearts of people and thatís, perhaps, why many people donít want to come forward.

My interest basically is whatís the nature of the universe we live in? What is our relationship to the larger reality? If [UFOs] are a part of the larger reality and we are denying it, that to me is unconscionable. I donít live that way. I went into space to learn about the universe we live in, to get new insights, to go beyond the boundaries of our known existence. And if these phenomena are really indicators of new information about the cosmos at all, and intelligent life in the cosmos, and our ability to travel in the cosmos, then we ought to get to the bottom of it. It is just my curiosity that drives me.

There seems to have been, over the last 50 years at least, a great deal of secrecy surrounding the so-called UFO events. Itís a very complex subject. We are not dealing with something thatís very simple here. We have sightings of all sorts. Weíve been reporting thousands and thousands of sightings for 50 years or so. Large numbers of those sightings are indeed misperceiving natural phenomenon in some way. But a large number of them are not misperceiving. They are well documented events that represent flying craft that do not match anything we have in an Earthbound arsenal, which is very short of saying we have validated in the public domain that they are ET craft. We have to rely upon people who have been there and interacted, have firsthand data.

The only people I know of that claim to have been in that position are former intelligence, military, and Government people, and some contractor people whose official duties in the early days were to investigate this and know about it. Those people were under, at that time, great restrictions and high security clearances that prevented them from telling the general public about it. It would appear that period has long past but they are still under security restriction, or at least believe they are.

Yes there have been ET visitations. There have been crashed craft. There have been material and bodies recovered. And there is some group of people somewhere that may or may not be associated with Government at this point, but certainly were at one time, that have this knowledge. They have been attempting to conceal this knowledge or not permit it to be widely disseminated.

I cannot answer who are these people. But there is a lot of evidence that points to what I call a clandestine group- people who have some quasi affiliation with Government and certain Government facilities but operate in a very stealth and secret way that is not generally under high level Government control as far as we can tell. From all that I know, yes there has been ET visitation and may continue to be. There have been craft that have been recovered. There has been a certain amount of reverse engineering that has allowed some of these craft, or some components, to be duplicated. And, that there are Earthlings who are utilizing some of this equipment in certain ways.

And, that, perhaps a large part of the activity thatís classified as UFO activity- abductions and the whole host of this type of activity- may very well not be due to ET activity at all. I would suspect if any is due to ET activity, it is a rather small part. And a larger portion is due to human type activity, Earthling type activity in a very clandestine fashion.

I will stop short of attaching motivation to this. I donít know the motivation. But if it is normal human motivation, it has to do with power and control and greed and money and so forth.

I think it is long past time to open this up to the public. I do not see anything that suggests, really, malevolent intentÖ We see things that, like abductions for example, that many would claim are hostile. To the extent that that may be true, I would more likely attribute it to some other [non ET] cause.

There is a mountain of evidence, if you will, that essentially amounts to smoking gun evidence that has not been brought forward at this point, at least not by the powers of Government.

The question of, has it been kept secret, or how could it be kept secret? It hasnít been kept secret. Itís been there all along. But it has been the subject of disinformation in order to deflect attention and to create confusion so the truth doesnít come out. Disinformation is simply another method of stonewalling. And thatís been used consistently for the last 50 years or so: Weather balloons over Roswell as opposed to a crashed craft of some sort. That is disinformation. Weíve seen that for 50 years. And itís the best way to hide something.

It shouldnít be any more of an effect that ETís have come here than that we have gone to the moon. Okay? Itís just a part of the way things are. And we have to understand it and put it in context of the story of ourselves, our knowledge base, of cosmology, the nature of our existence, who are we, how does the world work. And of course that knowledge does change our understanding of how the world, or the universe at large, works. Until the last 30 years, it was conventional wisdom, both in science and theology, that we are alone in the universe, that we are the whole, single repository of life anywhere in the known universe. Well no one believes that anymore. That changes our concept of who we are and how we fit.

And it is becoming very clear that the way we have conducted ourselves as stewards of life on planet Earth is wanting. We havenít been good stewards. We have environmental, global problems right now that are bringing civilization to a crisis. And people donít want to hear that but itís slowly becoming obvious that that is true. And so, this knowledge of who we are, how we manage a planet, how we fit into the larger scheme of things, is a very important question.

Well, Dr. Greer did indeed mount an initiative and did go to Washington, did speak with high level Government people, did present some of the witnesses that weíve talked about here, to give briefings. He has asked for congressional hearings on these matters. I attended and helped him with that. And I believe it is a very important effort that we get congressional oversight of all of this. But so far, that hasnít happened. We briefed certain members of Congress, some of their staff, some of the people from the White House. We talked with people in the Pentagon. And in general, it was well received and some were quite amazed at what they heard. But so far it hasnít resulted in any great activity.

JF: Was this news to a lot of their ears?

EM: To some people, yes. Others, not really so much. But I will say, it led me to the belief that people in high level Government have very, very little, if any, valid information about this. Most have no more knowledge than the man in the street. They were out of the loop of the things we were talking about, thatís right.

JF: Is that a concern for you?

EM: Oh yes, itís a very great concern. I have expressed this concern over and over. That is exactly what Iím saying: whatever activity is going on, to the extent that it is a clandestine group, a quasi-Government group, a quasi-private group, it is without any type, as far as I can tell, of high level Government oversight. And that is a great concern.

[Astronaut Mitchell here is referring to the 1997 Briefings that Dr. Greer organized for Congress, White House personnel, the Pentagon and others. There were over a dozen government and military witnesses present who testified regarding what they personally had seen related to UFOs and ET matters. It was indeed disconcerting to see so many high government officials and senior Pentagon officers who had been kept in the dark about something as important as this. SG]

Testimony of Monsignor Corrado Balducci

September 2000

[Through translator]

Monsignor Balducci is a Vatican theologian and an insider close to the Pope. He has been featured on national Italian television numerous times to express that extraterrestrial contact is a real phenomenon and "not due to psychological impairment". In this testimony he explains that not only the general populous but also highly credible, cultured, and educated people of high status are recognizing more and more that this is a real phenomenon. He goes on to speak about the extraterrestrial people as part of Godís creation and that they are not angels nor are they devils. However they are probably more spiritually evolved.

CB: Monsignor Corrado Balducci   SG: Dr. Steven Greer

CB: Ö We have come to the point that we canít anymore deny that there is something that is happening, that something is happening here in this field of ufology, not just flying saucers, but there might be actual people, beings, extraterrestrial beingsÖ

I want to speak as a theologist right now. To be so skeptical is against normal common sense, itís against reason. Human testimony is the most common way of communication and dialogue. Because, when we listen to people, we have to have faith that what they are saying is true. Itís a dialogue between one who says something and believing what the person has to say, or not believing what the person has to say.

But if we go ahead like this, and this is the real point that really moved me as a theologian, if we continue saying this isnít true, then whatís going to happen? Then whatever human witness testimony we have for anything else will not be given the importance deserved to witness testimony. And this witness testimony, if it becomes diminished will have a lot of negative repercussions: individual negative aspects, social negative aspects, and religious aspects. And especially for what concerns the Christian religionÖ

Itís also possible for another reason: God. God in his wisdom wouldnít have created only us as humans.

SG: In America, there have been some reactionary fundamentalists who have said that these are the work of the devil? What do you think of this?

CB: The devil has nothing to do with this! I havenít talked about this publicly in the past, but angels and devils donít need [space]craft; they donít need the flying saucers. They donít need these things. God would never allow the devil to show humanity this kind of manifestation in such a great form. He would never permit this. Donít even think about it being the devilÖ

And it says in the Bible, everything that exists in the universe is in the creation divine. There are no extraterrestrials which are not part of the divine creationÖ



Back to Contents


3.8.2 Radar / Pilot Cases


(transcribed and edited from an oral presentation by Dr. Greer)

This area of testimony deals specifically with pilot encounters, radar cases and related cases. It should be pointed out that for decades, people who have been skeptical of the UFO subject have asserted that if these objects were real, they would have been tracked on radar. We have no fewer than 20 witnesses from the Air Force, the Marines, the Navy, the Army, and civilian authorities in the United States and abroad who are qualified air traffic controllers and pilots who have seen and tracked these objects on radar. Please note that these people state emphatically that these objects have not been weather balloons; they have not been air inversions; they have not been "swamp gas." They have been structured craft often traveling at thousands of miles per hour, then suddenly stopping, hovering or moving in a nonlinear fashion. These objects have been tracked going from one spot to hundreds of miles away or further within one radar sweep. These are solid objects. They are metallic and they give strong and unambiguous radar returns.

This is not a situation any more where we just have one or two witnesses, and one must consider this very seriously as you evaluate the evidence: To have more than a dozen of these witnesses on tape testifying that these objects have been tracked on radar, and at times as many as a dozen radars tracking at the same time, means that we are dealing with an actual, real, physical and technological craft -- not something that is imaginary, not something that is a mass hallucination, and not something that can be written off as some kind of anomaly. As Air Force Colonel Charles Brown pointed out, the Air Force Project Grudge, as far back as 1950, had radar confirmation of these objects by ground radar, ground visual, airborne radar, and airborne visual Ė and, "It does not get any better than that." Many of these witnesses have also observed these objects returning on multiple nights to similar areas and have checked out their equipment rigorously to be sure that there were no technical glitches in either the software or the hardware.

This of course is explosive. The testimony of these witnesses forever puts to rest the argument that these objects donít exist because we have, in addition to their testimony, the radar tracings; we have documentation of these events; and we have people who have been on the inside of such events ranging from the 1940s all the way up into the 1990s.


Testimony of FAA Division Chief John Callahan

October 2000

For 6 years Mr. Callahan was the Division Chief of the Accidents and Investigations Branch of the FAA in Washington DC. In his testimony he tells about a 1986 Japanese Airlines 747 flight that was followed by a UFO for 31 minutes over the Alaskan skies. The UFO also trailed a United Airlines flight until the flight landed. There was visual confirmation as well as air-based and ground-based radar confirmation. This event was significant enough for the then FAA Administrator, Admiral Engen, to hold a briefing the next day where the FBI, CIA, President Reaganís Scientific Study Team, as well as others attended. Videotape radar evidence, air traffic voice communications and paper reports were compiled and presented. At the conclusion of this meeting, the attending CIA members instructed everyone present that Ďthe meeting never took placeí and that Ďthis incident was never recordedí. Not realizing that there was additional evidence, they confiscated just the evidence presented, but Mr. Callahan was able to secure video tape and audio evidence of the event.

JC: FAA Division Chief John Callahan    SG: Dr. Steven Greer

JC: I was the Division Chief of the Accidents and Investigations Branch of the FAA in Washington, D.C. I stayed there for about six years and then retired.

This particular incident started with a phone call from the people in Alaska. He says, we got a problem here. I donít know what to tell the media. The whole office is full of the media from Alaska. I said, whatís the problem? He said, well, itís that UFO. I said, what UFO? He said, well last week we had a UFO chase a 747 across the skies up here for about 30 minutes or so and we didnít think too much of it, he says. But apparently the word got out and we have all these news people here and we want to know what to tell them.

So being an old Government employee, I told him what you always tell him. Tell them it is under investigation and then get all that data together. I wanted all the discs that they had and all the tapes that they had available flown overnight to the [FAA] tech center in Atlantic City.

They called the military and they told the military they wanted all their tapes. The FAA controls all the airspace above the United States and its territory. It doesnít belong to the military. It doesnít belong to the guys shooting the rockets off. It belongs to the United States Government and it is controlled by the FAA. So I told him to get the militaryís tapes and all their

said, the military said they were short on their tapes and they had to put them back in service, but itís only been 12 days. Now, the tapes were supposed to be kept for 15 days.

The FAA Administrator sent my boss, who was the associate director of the FAA, and me down to Atlantic City to look at this thing to see if he had something to worry about. It took us two days to look at all the data. We went in and told him we wanted this room set up to be just like it was in Anchorage [during the encounter]. And we wanted all that data to come to this radarscope. And we wanted to see everything the controller saw. We wanted to hear everything he heard. And we wanted it all tied together, the radar, the digital radar and the sound.

Some of the people that were working on that side of the fence and who were displaying this, had already reviewed the tapes, and they didnít feel comfortable showing us what was on there. But we looked at all of it.

When the Air Traffic Controller had asked the military man, do you see anything? The military guy says, yes, I have a target at such and such, 1:00 and eight miles from the Japanese pilot, 747.

The way it started is there was a Japanese Airline 747, was coming from the northwest going across the Alaskan territory. And he was at either 31,000, 33,000, or 35,000 feet. And it was around 11:00 at night, but you can check the real times. He called and asked the Controller if the Controller had any traffic at his altitude. And the Controller said, no. Basically it was a midnight operation and they didnít have too much traffic. And he said, well I have a target at my 11:00 or 1:00 position about eight miles away.

Now in the 747 they have radar in the nose that picks up the weather outside there. So his radar is picking up a target. He sees this target with his eyes. And the target, the way he described it, was a huge ball with lights running around it. And I think he said it was like four times as big as a 747!

And the military man said something like, yeah, I see him 35 miles north of Anchorage. And whoís that at 11:00 or 1:00 in his position? And the FAA Controller said, I donít have anybody [any regular traffic]? Do you have anybody? The military controller said, itís not mine.

ATC called the military controller and asked them if they had anybody out there. And they said no, all their traffic was on the west side. And he came back and said, we have no traffic here. And a couple of times during the operation, the Japanese pilot would say, heís now at 11:00, heís now at 1:00, heís now at 3:00. The UFO was bouncing around the 747 here. And when he would say that, the military guy would cut in and say, heís now at 2:00 or 3:00 and he would confirm the position. The military controller has, what they call, height-finding radar, and they have long-range radar and short-range radar. So if they donít catch it on one of their systems they catch it on the other. And if you listen to the military man, at one time he said, I have it on the height radar, or my range radar, which indicated that they had a target on his system. Well they ran through for the best part of 31 minutes. The UFO would be in one position or the other following the Japanese 747. After a while they changed his altitude and it still stayed with him. They gave him a 360. When you are a 747 and you make a 360, it takes you a few minutes to turn around. You cover a lot of space. And it still stayed with him. It was either in the front, on the side, or behind him. They would see it at 1:00 in front of the 747 seven or eight miles [away]. And then on the next sweep, which would be like 10 seconds later, it would be behind him, seven or eight miles. And it always stayed seven or eight miles away from the target.

[Note the familiar non-linear maneuvers of this UFO, covering many miles in less than 10 seconds. This is corroborated by dozens of other UFO-radar events in the testimony of many other witnesses. SG]

When it was all done and we went back to Washington the next day, the Administrator [of the FAA] had called down and wanted to know if he had a problem or not. And my boss had told him, well we took a video of it and it looks like there might have been something there. Well the FAA Administrator said can you come up and give us a quick five-minute run-down of what happened? So we go up to the 10th floor [of FAA Headquarters in Washington DC] and give a four or five minute debriefing for the Administrator who was at the time Admiral Engen. He said, well have you got that video with you? Can you show me the video? I said, yeah, you just plug it in and play it.

So we plugged it in for him. He started watching it and after about five minutes, he told his staff to cancel his meetings. So he watched the whole thing, just over a half an hour.

We get all done, and he says, what do you guys think? My boss gave a good political answer and he said he wasnít sure what it was... So his take was, donít talk to anybody. And donít talk to anybody until I give you the okay. Then the next day I got a call from someone with the Scientific Study Group [for President Reagan], or the CIA, Iím not sure who it was, the first call. And they had some questions about the incident. And I had said, I donít know what you are talking about; you probably want to call the Admiral [FAA Administrator Engen].

Well a few minutes later the Admiral calls down and says, I have set up a briefing tomorrow morning at 9:00 am in the round room. Bring all the stuff you have. Bring everybody up there and give them whatever they want. We want to get out of it. Just let them do whatever they want. So I brought all the people from the Tech Center. We had all kinds of boxes of data that we had them print out; it filled up the room. They brought in three people from the FBI, three people from the CIA, and three people from Reaganís Scientific Study team -- I donít know who the rest of the people were but they were all excited.

We let them watch the video. Then they had all kinds of questions about the frequency, the rate of the antennae turning, on and on and on, how many radarís, how many antennas, how does the data get processed. They were all excited -- the only way a man would be if that was his job. When they got done, they actually swore all these other guys in there that this never took place. We never had this meeting. And this was never recorded.

SG: Who said that? Who was saying that?

JC: This was one of the guys from the CIA. Okay? That they were never there and this never happened. At the time I said, well I donít know why you are saying this. I mean, there was something there and if itís not the stealth bomber, then you know, itís a UFO. And if itís a UFO, why wouldnít you want the people to know? Oh, they got all excited over that. You donít even want to say those words. He said this is the first time they ever had 30 minutes of radar data on a UFO. And they are all itching to get their hands onto the data and to find out what it is and what really goes on. He says if they come out and told the American public that they ran into a UFO out there, it would cause panic across the country. So therefore, you canít talk about it. And they are going to take all this data. So I said, okay, take all the data if thatís what you want.

SG: Who took that data?

JC: Well, that group. I donít know who it went to, but that group took it. But they took only what we had there. They didnít ask me if there was anything else that I had. They said, they are taking all this data. And I said, fine. Now, I had the original video that I took and I had the pilotís report that came through, the first report. And I had the FAAís first report that was all downstairs on my table.

They didnít ask for that so I didnít give it to them. And later on when I retired, that was the stuff that was in my office and all that came with me. And weíve been sitting on it ever since.

[We have obtained all of these materials, including the radar video, ATC voice transcripts, the FAA report, and the computer printouts of the event. SG]

At the end, the Japanese 747 is leaving the airspace, and thereís a United Airlines flight coming up to land in Alaska. The Controller says to the United, weíve got a Japanese 747 up here and heís being chased, followed, by a UFO and weíd like you to check him out. Can we leave you at that altitude? And the United says, fine, or sure. And so they give him a left turn, 20 degrees or so, keep him at his altitude and they kind of run him in toward the Japanese 747.

Once the two airplanes pass, that target [UFO] follows the United down through the airspace until he gets on final approach and then the UFO just disappears.

Well when they read the reports that came through the FAA decided it had to protect themselves -- you canít say you saw a target, even though this is what he said. So they made him change his report to say "position symbols," which makes it sound like it wasnít really a target. Well if itís not a target then a lot of the other position symbols that we are separating [on radar] arenít targets either. And when I read that, I thought oh, there is something fishy here, that somebody is worried about something or other and they are trying to cover up.

When the CIA told us that this never happened and we never had this meeting, I believe it was because they didnít want the public to know that this was going on. Normally we would put out some type of a news release that such and such happened.

And I think it was mysterious that the military tapes disappeared. It wasnít right. We went from 30 days to 15 days [for the time period required to keep radar tapes]. And the first indication makes it look like it, the military, knew more than we did about who the visitors were and they didnít want anybody else to know. And of course the people that are involved at the lower levels donít really know what is going on above them. When someone calls up and says put those tapes back in service, they just put them back in service. They really donít care.

When they asked me what I thought I told them that it looked like we had a UFO that was up there. The reason it wasnít [consistently] on the FAAís tapes was because it was too large of an aircraft, and it was picked up as weather, so we wouldnít record it. [The system is programmed to filter out such things]. The pilot, the Japanese pilot did see it. The Japanese pilot drew pictures of it. Eventually they gave the Japanese pilot a hard time because of what he said. He was embarrassing his country.

[The tragedy of this JAL 747 pilot is a poignant reminder of the power of ridicule in keeping this subject secret. The pilot was forced to take a desk job for a prolonged period and was humiliated. See the testimony of former NASA research scientist Dr. Richard Haines regarding his knowledge of the event and how he helped get the pilot flying again. SG]

Our military controllers said they had seen it. Our FAA controllers said they had seen it. Our FAA controllers, after a period of time, came back and said they really didnít see a target, that they saw something else, which makes it sound like somebody is helping them fill out their reports. And that looked suspicious.

But who do you tell that you were involved in a UFO incident without them looking at you like you ainít wrapped too tight? And this I think is the way our country is set up now. The only ones that see a UFO in the TV programs are the rednecks out in the country that are going coon hunting or alligator hunting at night. You donít find anybody with any kind of smarts or some professional individual saying hey, last night let me tell you what I saw. They donít display that in the United States. So if you talk about seeing a UFO, you are putting yourself in a funny kind of category. Thatís probably one of the reasons why you donít hear about it anymore. But as far as Iím concerned, I saw a UFO chase a Japanese 747 across the sky for over half an hour on radar. And itís faster than anything that I know of in our Government.

Well, Iíve been involved in a lot of cover-ups with the FAA. When we gave the presentation to the Reagan staff I was behind the group that was there. And when they were speaking to the people in the room, they had all those people swear that this never happened. But they never had me swear it never happened. And it always bothered me that we have these things going on and when you see something or you hear something on the radio or TV, the news, that itís put down as itís not there. I have a hard time saying nothing.

It still bothers me that Iíve seen all this, I know all this, and Iím walking around with the answer, and nobody wants to ask the question to get the answer. And it kind of irritates me a little bit. And I donít believe our Government should be set up that way. I think when we have something like this, that you can probably find out more about whatís going on in the world [by not covering it up]. If they [the UFOís] can travel that far, that distance with that type of machinery, who knows what they could do here for the health of the nation, the people, the food they could give them, the cancers we could cure. They have to know more than us to be able to travel at that speed.

For those people that say that if these UFOís existed, they would some day be on radar and that thereíd be professionals who would see it, then I can tell them that back in 1986 there were enough professional people that saw it. It was brought down to headquarters, FAA headquarters, Washington D.C. The Administrator saw the tape of it. The people that we were debriefing, theyíve all seen. Reaganís Scientific Study team, three of those professors, doctors, theyíve seen it. As far as I was concerned they were the ones that verified my own thoughts about it. They were very, very excited about the data. They had said that this was the only time a UFO was ever recorded on radar for any length of time where it is 30 some minutes. And they have all this data to look at.

Now a 30-minute radar return filled up boxes across the room, and the boxes were stacked, you know, two or three high. There was a lot of paper there to look at. They knew the frequency now of the radar. They knew how fast it turned. They knew where it was. They had the military that confirmed it.

And yet I think the way the Government wants the outside people to view those that have seen something like this is like they are kooks, like theyíre not wrapped too tight. And youíve got to watch out for them. Thatís the image that they put out. I guess I really donít care about the imageÖ

SG: Do you recall the names of the CIA people and others at this meeting at FAA Headquarters?

JC: When I gave him my card the CIA guy said, "you know, we are with the company (they donít say CIA). In the company, we donít have cards. We donít have company cards." They may have a card, but itís nothing to do with the company. And he said that thereís nothing we can give out. On the Admiralís calendar, they should have who reserved the room and who was there for the day of the briefing.

What I can tell you is what Iíve seen with my own eyes. Iíve got a videotape. Iíve got the voice tape. Iíve got the reports that were filed that will confirm what Iíve been telling you. And Iím one of those, what you would call the high Government officials in the FAA. I was a Division Chief. I was only three or four down from the Admiral. We investigated all the airline incidents, all the accidents.

[Indeed those who would say that these objects are not real because there is no proof of them recorded on radar and being analyzed by competent professionals, can now stand corrected. Presented here is a very senior FAA official stating on the record that the event happened and that the CIA and other Government officials ordered the event be kept secret and who confiscated (or so they thought) the evidence. We are profoundly grateful for the courage shown by Mr. Callahan in coming forward and in preserving and conveying the evidence of this case. SG]

Testimony of Sgt. Chuck Sorrells, US Air Force (ret.)

December 2000

Chuck Sorrells is a career Air Force military man who was at Edwards Air Force Base in 1965 when not one, but at least seven UFOs appeared over Edwards Air Force Base airspace, moving in extraordinary fashion at enormous speeds, making right-hand turns and other maneuvers which no known aircraft was capable of at the time. They appeared on multiple radars, were seen visually by several people, and a special UFO officer scrambled and authorized a jet to intercept these objects. This event lasted for five or six hours. An edited transcript of the audio tape of the event follows his testimony.

CS: sgt. Chuck Sorrells    SG: Dr. Steven Greer

CS: My name is Chuck Sorrells. I went into the Air Force in 1954 and retired in 1974. I was a Tech Sergeant. Most of the time I was an Air Traffic Controller. Iíve been at Edwards Air Force Base in California, and in Japan, Thailand, Alaska, and several places in the states.

This event happened October the 7th of 1965 at Edwards Air Force Base. It was on a midnight shift and I was the Air Traffic Controller on duty in the tower. At about 1:30 or so in the morning, I noticed this real bright light to the east of my tower. It was a light green and it had a red light underneath it. The red light was a pulsating type light, and it had a white light on top that just glowed. It was very bright and quite large. I observed it for quite a while, because there wasnít any aircraft in the area at the time. I called the dispatcher down at the base operations and the weatherman that was on duty that night (the forecaster), and got them all to go outside and take a look. I had one of the guys from the interceptor detachment that was on the base look also, and I had the captain down there look. We talked about it for a while, and the RAP-CON people (thatís radar people on the base) didnít have any aircraft in the area at the time.

We called it down to the Air Defense people at Los Angeles defense sector. The director down there called around to his sites, and at one point in time they had at least four different radar sites that were getting radar returns on it. [The UFOs] were getting seen at a couple of other towers, like George Tower, and there were a couple of other places that were seeing them. So, there were several people on the ground looking at these UFOs, and about four radar sites [looking at them]. This [went] back and forth and back and forth for two or three hours. They finally decided to scramble an aircraft on it, to go up and take a look at it. This was coordinated with the other, higher headquarters, and I think NORAD was involved.

[See the testimony of military air traffic controller Michael Smith regarding NORAD being involved in this unambiguous UFO case, their denials notwithstanding. SG]

The jet [went] up to take a look at it, and they tried to run him in to intercept these targets. At the very beginning, I had one ó the big, large light. Some time later, it was just sitting there, mostly stationary, but it was too close to the horizon to be a star or anything like that. It was down below the mountains [and] the hills and stuff, so it wasnít a star, [and] I couldnít correlate for what it could possibly be. Then, all of a sudden, there [were] three more objects, and they had similar characteristics as far as the lighting [was] concerned. But these three stayed together. They stayed in a formation and stayed together, and then moved down to the south of me and sat there, stationary, for a while. A little later on, three more appear[ed], but these three [were] individual ones. They would fly individually around and go north, south, east, west ó a lot of maneuvers. At this point I had seven of them at one time. This is when they decided to scramble the jet interceptor. It was getting way up in the early morning hours by that time.

They were having no luck intercepting these UFOs. They kept asking me, in the tower, where was this object in relation to the airplane? The only thing I could do was line him up with my runway, where I knew what heading he was on in relation to where I was. Then, as soon as heíd get to the end of the runway, Iíd tell him to turn to a certain heading and head straight forward. Well, about three different times that night, heíd say "contact", and that "contact" means he had contact with something on his radar in the cockpit of the aircraft. What it was, we donít know to this day. But they were real.

At one point in time the interceptor was up to 40,000 feet. When he went near the object, the object just rose real fast, real sudden, straight up, and he just went under it. Thereís a place on the tape where the Director says, "Howís he looking, tower?" And I said, heís low. He [replied], "Well, heís at 40,000 feet," and I said, I donít care ó heís still low.

[The tape he refers to is an audiotape of the actual conversations of this hours-long encounter. We have this tape. Refer to the transcript of this tape below. SG]

That UFO just went way high. They searched on their radar, the height finders, and everything for it. I highly suspect it was above their radars at that point.

SG: How high would that be?

CS: Probably 100,000 feet or something like that. 80,000 to 100,000 feet was probably their capability back in those days.

The interceptor did have contact about three different times, and then heíd lose it. These objects played around there for the remainder of my shift. About daylight, the UFOs started getting higher and higher and higher in the atmosphere. By the time it was light enough that you wouldnít see the rest of the stars, they were gone too ó they just disappeared into the atmosphere.

I know craft of all types, so I know a lot of things this was not. I know it was not a helicopter. I know it was not an airplane. I know it was not a balloon--a weather balloon or any other type of balloon. I know it was no known aircraft or flying object that we know of today, or at that time. And it wasnít a laser show. It wasnít anything like that, but they could move real fast. They could be to the east of my field, and then in just a short period of time they could be to the west. They could probably go 30-40 miles in the time you could snap your fingers twice. I mean, just fast! And they could rise ó just go straight up. It seemed like they could do that instantaneously. At some points they would hover and just sit for a long period of time ó then they would move. The smaller three individual ones had a lot more movement than the other ones. The original very large UFO didnít move all that much. After a couple of hours, though, it moved a little bit from the east, down a little bit toward the south, and then moved back toward the east a little bit again ó like that. But it didnít make any sudden, fast movements until they tried to run an intercept on it, and then it went straight up.

The three that were flying around individually would dart north, south, east, [and] west, and they were the ones that really went fast. They were the ones that were actually nearer to the base and nearer to the ground. I judged that their altitude would be around 2,000 feet or less at times. I know that we were getting radar cuts on them. Iíd find a cut anywhere from 4,000 to 10,000 [or] 11,000 feet. So, thatís pretty low to the surface.

These UFOs had to be something that would return a radar signal, and that had to be something solid and metal. Radar is a very simple thing: itís a radio beam that hits something, bounces off something, and comes back. So, it had to be something the radar would bounce off, and it wouldnít bounce off a rubber balloon or anything like that. It would have to be something with a metallic nature that would cause it to bounce back and make an indication on your radar screen.

SG: Can you estimate the speed of these objects?

CS: It would have to be in the thousands of miles per hour ó up in that area, speed wise. These things would have to be very, very fast. The radar people were having a hard time determining [their] speed because theyíd be in one place and theyíd sit for a little while, and then theyíd move real fast. By the time the radar screen got around to finding them, the UFO was already at another location. It was very difficult to get any kind of a speed on them. You could be watching one in the east, and if you looked around for a little bit, if your attention was diverted someplace else for just a minute, youíd look back and heíd be over in the west. They could make quick turns and had all sorts of maneuverability that we didnít know anything about at the time. It was a very strange evening.

These events happened over at least a four-hour timeframe. In those days, every base had what they called a UFO officer ó an unidentified flying object officer. We had one, and he was the guy that actually gave the order to take a look at this thing. The Air Defense Director for the Los Angeles defense sector and the radar controllers wanted to take a look at it, but they had to get his say-so before they could go ahead and do it legally.

At that point in time at Edwards Air Force Base, we had a rocket site. They were experimenting with a whole lot of different fuel combinations, and they were doing a lot of rocket burns over there just to see what thrust they could get. From my standpoint, that looked like the area where this huge UFO was just sitting ó just about over that rocket site.

The F-106 that they did scramble that night was what they call a cold bird. It wasnít armed in any way.

SG: During your Air Force career, did you hear of other people having these types of encounters with UFOs?

CS: Yes, there were. Iíve heard guys talk about seeing things like that, but they wouldnít necessarily come forward and say what they had seen, because they didnít want the stigma attached to them that they were crazy or they were seeing things. Or they didnít want the ribbing that they were going to get from their buddies.

The tape that is in existence now of the event that night is made up of radio patches and telephone patches that were recorded at the various radar sites that were involved. There would be another tape as well, someplace, from the tower that I was in, because everything that was going on in the tower [was] recorded.

The [largest number of] objects that I saw at any one time was seven. There was one large one, and then there [were] three smaller ones with the same type characteristics, but these three kind of stayed together. At a certain point after this, there were three other ones that were flying around individually, but at one point, I had as many as seven, visually, at one time. From hearing the tapes now, I hear that there might have been as many as 11 in the area that night.

I canít tell you what [they were], but I can tell you a lot of things [they werenít]. [There isnít] anything that we know of today that has those types of characteristics ó could do the maneuvers and do the speed, with no sound. At some points, they were close enough to the tower that if it had been a jet or something, I would have heard the sound from it. I wish I knew what they wereÖ

[This extremely important case involves a seasoned Air Force Air Traffic Controller, an official "UFO officer", 4 separate radar stations, lock-on from on-board radar on a jet interceptor, many hours, and many objects over several hours. The debunkers and those who would ridicule the UFO matter need to be able to explain away all of these elements--and the voice tape of the actual event. The only conclusion is the obvious one: these UFOs were real and were not swamp gas, ball lightning, hallucinations, or any of the other absurd explanations offered by academia and officialdom for these events. SG]

Back to Contents   or   Continue with Radar / Pilot Cases