Elbert County was formed
in 1790 from parts of Wilkes County. Georgia's 13th county and its
county seat, Elberton, were named for Samuel Elbert, a Revolutionary
War hero and an early Governor of Georgia.
The fork of the Broad and Savannah Rivers was the site of Fort
James, built in the Revolutionary War to protect settlers in the
nearby community of Dartmouth. After the war, the town of Petersburg
was established near the fort and became a thriving tobacco farming
center, eventually growing into the third most populous city in the
state. Cotton's rise to being the region's primary crop saw
Petersburg's demise. The site is now covered by the waters of the
Clark Hill Reservoir.
Points of Interest
Elberton is known as the
"Granite Capital of the World." Elberton's more than 45 quarries
produce more granite monuments than any other area in the world.
The Georgia Guidestones
In addition to mineral
resources, Elbert County is rich in water resources. The Broad River
forms the county's western and southern border. The county's eastern
border with South Carolina is formed by the Savannah River, which
has been dammed to create Lake Richard B. Russell and the Clark Hill
Elbert County is home to the Richard B. Russell and Bobby Brown
State Parks, located on the fork of the Broad and Savannah Rivers at
the Clark Hill Reservoir.
Several notable persons
spent time in Elbert County. Nancy Morgan Hart and Stephen Heard,
both heroes of the Revolutionary War, lived in Elbert County. Hart
(for whom the neighboring county is named) served as a spy for
Elijah Clarke and once captured six Tories who came to her home
demanding food. Heard established a fort in Georgia in 1773, fought
with Elijah Clarke at the Battle of Kettle Creek, and served as
President of the Executive Council of Georgia for a short period.